Tuesday, August 9

Greazefest 2011

Greazefest...what a day! What an event!

For those not in the know, it's a 3-day rockabilly, swing and pyschobilly music fest, car show and markets event. We only went for the (Sunday) market day, and it was HUGE!!!

I don't know how many thousands of people attended...but it  would have been a few! Let's just say the cars alone filled up both ovals. Our stall was located near the entry, so we were treated to an constant procession of hot rods, beautiful bods, vintage caravans, vintage-attired children...all sorts of sights!

We took a mixture of photos to try and give you a taste of the whole event as we saw it (except for the bands, no time for that unfortunately), so here goes!

50s style metal art


I want the flamingoes!!! This is the lady who makes them, here she's showing the larger of the 2 sizes she makes, Sue wants a set for outside our shop but I want a set at home as well!



I don't need to say anything about these, do I?




This lovely space was set up for vintage makeovers





How unbelievably adorable is this little girl with her 50s pram?! (yes, I have permission to use this photo, in case you're wondering!) Her mother made her dress to a 50s pattern, if you look closely you can see 'McCalls' printed on it. Too cute for words. When I went over to speak to her I was told in no uncertain terms to BE QUIET because her baby was asleep in the pram.





Ooh and here's me with Ms Vicki of Hi-Fallutin, showing off our bangles. Sue and I forgot to take pictures of both ourselves and our stall this time, we're so intent on seeing what else is out there we forget about ourselves sometimes!




An attempt to show how big this event was, but nope, can't do it it one shot



Marilyn McSweetie of Miss Rockabilly also had a stall, here she is striking a cute pose for Sue...yep, the bloggers were out in force!!





So many cute vintage caravans came along for the outing- there is now a magazine called 'Vintage Caravan', a quarterly publication which is rapidly growing in popularity, see the website here.




This is Lisa, who started and runs the magazine, getting her pink flamingoes set up in front of her own van while I unceremoniously took a snap of her...sorry about that chick!





You'd be forgiven for thinking I'm right into cars from looking at this lot, but I'm not really...it was just really something to see soooo many all in one place at once, and to appreciate how much work must have gone into some of these vehicles. Sue and I were 'wowed' by this 'Munster car'.




Of course there were lots of retro wares on offer-wait til you see what I bought! Not a lot, but awesome stuff!




Repro swimwear, it might be winter here but of course it's warm enough to swim....derr!




And lots of cute shoes too. It might have been a showground with churned-up grass underfoot, but I can assure you the high heels were out in force!


Uber-kitsch lustre fish


One of our latest kitsch collection that we took along


All in all it was a super-fun, busy day, with lots of laughter, meeting old and new friends and customers, and the weather was perfect too.





...although I like the idea that one day I might be chauffered home in one of these!

14 comments:

Vix said...

That looks like an ace festie. Best bits? You, your bangles, the flamingo and that ratted Beetle.
Your winter is still miles better than our pathetic summer, I was in a fake fur coat in August! x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Wow looks fab! I particularly love the caravan that has set up it's own picket fence outside, fantastic!

Vintage Coconut said...

My dear OlIvEs! That place looks like heaven on earth! I seen so much stuff I want my mind is frazzled to no end!
WOW WOW WOW Is all I can say! Thanks for sharing Kitty.

Kat said...

It sure was a great day! I can't get over how many people were there compared to last year. Loads of fun!

Lyndel said...

wowzers! even my husband enjoyed looking at your photos from the Festival. thanks for sharing.

Helga said...

O my,o my,o my!!! I would love to come over for one of these festivals!Fabulous! I love it all,esp the caravans and the cars!
O,what a day!
I hope you had plenty of sunblock on,young lady!!!
XXX

Zootsuitmama said...

I'm so jealous, but so excited to see there is a post for the Vintage Caravans! We have Grease a Rama, in Sept. Looks like a blast!

Vintage Christine said...

OMG OMG OMG! Wow Wow Wow! And that's being speechless, LOL. What a fantastic festival and how lucky you were able to attend. Question: those cute little Oriental kids on the bench--are they shakers? I'm sure you sold them, but if not let me know. They are TOO CUTE!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Wow is right!! We have a Route 66 fest coming up here in my area, but this looks like it's even bigger! Too much fun, LOVE the shoes!!!

doradadama said...

Wowsa! What a marvelous place.
I love that pic of you with your bangles amor. I am drolling over all the cute stuff. caravans dream. oh and the heels what a delight.I been asking Buddy I want a big ass bumper chola car but in red.

Marilyn McSweetie said...

Wonderful Pics Celia and Sue!! Nice to see you there! It got so frantic very quick after setting up! I forgot I did that stupid pose hahaha. xx

Mimi and Tilly said...

This looks like a fantastic day out! Tahnks for your lovely comment on my blog. I'm not sure what the difference is between flickr and pinterest other than with pinterest you add a button to your tool bar which means that wherever you go in t'internet you can upload pics automatically to your pinterest account just by clicking on the pinterst button in your tool bar. Could that be it? I don't have a flickr account so am not sure! Hugs, Em x

Alex M said...

Great pictures!

Unknown said...

Any chance of a full length shot of your frock Kitty - it looks FAB!

This looks like such a fun event - all those amazing cars, the vintage vans (WANT!), the spunky boys with quiffs and sidies, the gorgeous gals and that FISH VASE!

Sarah xxx